search
0

Recently, Year 1 A-level Sociology students got a flavour of university life when they visited the University of the West of England (UWE) in Bristol.

They were hosted by Dr Finn McKay for a campus tour and lecture on radical feminism. Dr McKay is a leading voice on feminism and has been listed as one of the world’s leading activists bringing about change in the world.

Course Team Leader for Sociology, Tom Bint, said “Hearing of Finn’s background in youth work and domestic violence prevention was fascinating and the lecture on radical feminism was hugely engaging and thought provoking. I know my colleagues and Finn were hugely impressed with the quality of questions our students asked in the session and it was clear that they took a great deal from the day.

We’re mindful that heading off to university is a huge decision, and so through offering taster events like this, the hope is it may help our students make more of an informed choice. Planning the next few years of their lives should be hugely exciting and one we’re always happy to offer support with.”

Year 1 student, Amy, said “The afternoon was very insightful as to what studying a Sociology degree would look like. I found it very informative and helpful for my A-level exams too, and the trip overall was fun! It was also lovely getting a tour of the university and getting an understanding of what student life is like.”

“We had a very interesting lecture”, said Martha, “It was cool to look at the university and get a brilliant insight into sociological issues.”

Ruby added, “I felt the trip was interesting, it was a great opportunity to find out about the university experience. I felt the radical feminism lecture really increased by sociological knowledge, ready for the topic on social inequality we are going to study in Year 2!”

For more information on this story, please contact chloe.suter@cirencester.ac.uk

Close Menu