search
0

Huge congratulations to the Girls Football Academy, who have made Cirencester College history after being crowned champions of the Association of Colleges Women’s Football League Midlands division.

When trials took place for the Girls Football Academy at the start of the academic year, a record- breaking number of students came along keen to join the team. Some had never played football before, and some had been playing their whole lives. The team quickly bonded, and along with their coach, Kerry Walklett, they spent a lot of time setting their standards and working out what they wanted to achieve individually and together before they embarked on what would turn out to be a near-perfect season.

Across 16 matches, the team gained 12 wins, three draws, and just one loss. This week at College, the team were presented with their champions trophy and medals.

Kerry Walklett, Coach of the Girls Football Academy, said “I am over the moon for the players, they have been nothing short of excellent this season. The league has been a real rollercoaster of emotions for us, for example, we travelled a 5 hour round trip in a snow blizzard to Stoke, went 3-0 down in the first 15 minutes of the game and ended up winning 11-5. I think that day alone sums up the character and bravery of the group.

I joined the College in September and came in to the quietest group of players I have ever met! My biggest aim was to create a relaxed and enjoyable culture among the team.

I have to commend the girls as the league has been really difficult. We are the most southern side in the league, so every away game is at least 1-2.5 hours away, and normally in the pouring rain! In a women’s league, you also get a lot of clubs unable to field a full 11, so every week we had to adapt to the other teams’ requirements and play 7 or 9 aside for example.

I don’t think anyone at the start of the season would have us down to win the league. I am really proud of the girls, not only for getting what they deserve, but for believing in themselves and each other to do it.”

Year 1 student Isla said “I was really excited to win the league, hopefully we can keep progressing next year and continue challenging ourselves.  I think people should definitely consider joining the Football Academy because there is a good amount of training, and it’s a great social opportunity too. You get to meet lots of people and make friends with people in the year above too.”

Year 2 student Lucy said “I have played football since I was young so I definitely wanted to continue playing at College. Throughout my time at College the Football Academy has developed a lot. We wouldn’t be where we are today without Kerry, her coaching has been amazing. With women’s football getting more coverage in the media, hopefully more people will be inspired to join the Football Academy. Even if it’s just for one session, I think people should definitely go for it as it’s so easy to fit in and everyone is really nice.”

Well done to the Cirencester College league winning squad:

Amalie G

Bella D

Ciara N

Isla N

Julie M

Lauren N

Liv L

Lucy R

Megan H

Maisie S

Olivia C

Rakhi P

Rosie K

Violet C

If you would like to find out more about the Cirencester College Football Academy, you can find lots of information here: Football Academy – Cirencester College

For more information on this story, please email chloe.suter@cirencester.ac.uk

Close Menu